Beyond the Frame: Depiction of a Dream – A Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with the Vermont Youth Orchestra (January 20, 2019)
- ♿ Sunday, January 20, 2019, at 3:00pm, The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, 153 Main St, Burlington VT 05401 ($17 adults, $12 students. Click here for more program and ticket information.)
Counterpoint serves as a special musical guest on the winter concert of the Vermont Youth Orchestra. To celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s 90th birthday, Counterpoint will perform spirituals and songs associated with the Civil Rights Movement, including arrangements by Harry T. Burleigh, William Levi Dawson, Moses Hogan, and Robert De Cormier. The orchestra will perform a tribute to Dr. King by Duke Ellington, a movement from Antonín Dvořák’s New World Symphony, and the festive opening movement of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 1.
Six Degrees (October 2018-May 2019)
During the 2018-2019 season, Counterpoint will team with local schools to offer a multidisciplinary program about climate change. Through music, narration, and video, Six Degrees will educate students how climate change threatens our survival and how green alternatives, renewables, and sustainability can address these dangers. The title refers to the rise in world temperatures of six degrees Celsius that would imperil life on our planet, and also to the “six degrees of separation” that connect all of humanity. The school-day workshops with elementary, middle, and high school students will include singing, discussion, and video presentations, and will culminate in concerts open to the public. Because all six inhabited continents are ravaged by climate change, the program includes songs from across the globe, concluding with a celebration of nature in balance.
- ♿ Saturday, October 13, 2018, Vermont Interfaith Power and Light Conference, Faith Methodist United Church, South Burlington VT
- ♿ Thursday, October 25, 2018, Hunt Middle School, Burlington VT
- ♿ Thursday, November 8, 2018, Shoreham Elementary School, Shoreham VT
- ♿ Thursday, November 15, 2018, Putney Central School, Putney VT
- ♿ Monday, December 10, 2018, Miller’s Run School, Sheffield VT
- ♿ Thursday, March 21, 2019, Charlotte Central School, Charlotte VT
- ♿ Thursday, May 2, 2019, Marion Cross School, Norwich VT
- ♿ Thursday, May 23, 2019, Fairlee Community Arts, Fairlee VT
- ♿ Sunday, June 30, 2019 (date not confirmed!), The Church on the Hill, Weston VT
- More dates and venues to come!
Choral Music and Solo Songs by Composers at the University of Vermont (April 6, 2019)
- ♿ Saturday, April 6, 2019, at 7:30pm, The University of Vermont Recital Hall, 392 S Prospect St, Burlington, VT 05405
Counterpoint performs choral works and solo songs by David Feurzeig, Patricia Julien, and Matt LaRocca, all faculty members at the University of Vermont.
Vermont Sings for Peace XII (September 21, 2019)
- ♿ Saturday, September 21, 2019, at 7:30pm. The Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel, Saint Michael’s College, Colchester VT 05439
The annual festival bringing together local choruses singing songs of peace and justice.